APO SALVENT CFC FREE, 100MCG, METERED INH.
This medication contains a bronchodilator (it dilates the bronchi). Typically, it is used to control asthma symptoms or for the prevention of exercise-induced asthma. It may also be used for emphysema or for chronic bronchitis. Its effects can be felt within a few minutes.
How to use this medication
Before using this inhaler for the first time, or if you have not used it for more than 2 weeks, prime it (by releasing 4 puffs into the air) to ensure that it works properly.
To use this inhaler, follow these steps:
- remove the cap and shake the inhaler well with the mouthpiece down;
- tilt your head back slightly;
- slowly breathe all the way out;
- place the mouthpiece in your mouth between your teeth and close your lips around it -- do not bite it;
- start to breathe in, then press down on the canister once, while continuing to breathe in slowly and deeply;
- hold your breath for 10 seconds then breathe out slowly;
- if you have been instructed to use more than one puff, wait 30 seconds before repeating the above steps.
If you find it difficult to use this technique, ask your pharmacist for a spacer device; these devices make using an inhaler much easier. Clean your inhaler once a week.
Depending on the treated condition, this medication may be used regularly or only as needed. Follow the instructions provided by your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause palpitations (rapid and strong heart beat);
- it may irritate your throat;
- it may cause shakiness.
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
This product is sensitive to heat. Store it at room temperature, in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
This document contains useful information for those taking this medication. It is not intended, in any way, to replace the advice of a trained health professional. For more information, consult the manufacturer's literature, where you will find additional information about uncommon side effects as well as contraindications associated with this product.