Whether in the form of creams, lotions, sprays, gels or sticks, sunscreens are only effective when applied correctly. The protective effect of a sunscreen can decrease by 50% to 80% if you don’t apply it uniformly and if you don’t apply enough.
· Follow the instructions on the package.
· Apply the product at least 30 minutes before going out in the sun.
· Apply a generous amount: at least 30 ml (2 tbsp). Don’t forget to put it everywhere from your ears to your toes!
· Reapply every 2 hours or more, especially after swimming or if you’ve been sweating a lot.
· Also remember to protect your lips with an SPF 30 product.
You can find a wide range of sunscreens at your pharmacy. Look for products recommended by the Canadian Dermatology Association.
Sunscreens contain substances that filter UV rays. There are two types of sunscreens:
The sun protection factor (SPF) tells you how well the sunscreen can protect you from the sun's UVB rays:
· SPF 15 filters 93% of UVB rays
· SPF 30 filters 97% of UVB rays
· SPF 50 filters 98% of UVB rays
You should use a sunscreen with an SPF 30 or more. Note that there is no benefit to using a product with an SPF over 50.
When choosing a sunscreen, you also need to consider protection against UVA rays. Look for a product that is broad spectrum.
Many cosmetics on the market contain sunscreen. However, not all of these products contain an SPF of at least 30 and they don’t necessarily protect against UVA rays. Also, they are generally applied only once a day. This is why you should also apply sunscreen in addition to these cosmetics.
· Prolonged exposure to the sun dehydrates and irritates the skin. Hydrating your skin with thermal water, moisturizing masks and moisturizing creams will ease your suffering skin.
· Splash your face with thermal water to relieve irritation and dryness. Don’t let your skin air dry; instead, sponge it off with a tissue.
· Then apply a moisturizing mask and let it sit on your face. You can repeat this treatment every day for a week, and then once or twice a week after that. Masks provide deep moisture and are very beneficial for the health of your skin.
· Apply a moisturizing cream immediately after treatment to lock in the moisture and leave your skin looking radiant!
Don’t hesitate to consult your Proxim cosmetician for advice or help to choose the best product for you.
As soon as you step outside, make sure you apply a sunscreen that protects you from the sun’s UVA and UVB rays, which are responsible for premature skin aging and skin cancers.