IMITREX NASAL, 5MG, NASAL SPRAY
This medication is typically used to relieve migraines. Its effects can be felt within a few minutes.
How to use this medication
IMPORTANT: Each bottle contains only a single dose. Do not waste any of the product by spraying it in the air as a test.
This product must be used in one nostril only. To use:
- if necessary, blow your nose gently before using the medication;
- block one nostril, breathe out gently through your mouth and place the tip of the nasal spray in the other nostril;
- keep your head upright and close your mouth - do not tilt your head or lie down;
- spray the medication in one nostril and breathe in gently - do not sniff deeply;
- keep your head upright for a few seconds and breathe in gently through your nose and out through your mouth.
Generally, this medication is used only as needed. Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause dizziness -- use caution when getting up from a lying or sitting position;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it may cause nasal irritation;
- it may leave an unpleasant taste in the mouth.
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
Rarely, this product causes potentially severe reactions, mostly if taken at high doses or with some other drugs. If you experience agitation, confusion, diarrhea, fever, tremor and muscular rigidity or contractions you should contact your doctor.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
This document contains useful information for those taking this medication. It is not intended, in any way, to replace the advice of a trained health professional. For more information, consult the manufacturer's literature, where you will find additional information about uncommon side effects as well as contraindications associated with this product.