PENLAC, 8%, LACQUER
This medication contains a topical antifungal drug. Typically, it is used for fungal infections of the nails. It requires a few months to take effect.
How to use this medication
Directions for use:
- remove any loose nail or nail pieces using nail clippers or nail files.
- apply once daily over the entire nail, the skin right around the nail and on the bottom side where possible.
- let air dry about 30 seconds and wait 8 hours before taking a bath or shower.
- close the bottle tightly.
Once a week, remove varnish with rubbing alcohol and remove as much as possible of the damaged nail using scissors, nail clippers or nail file.
If you forget a dose, apply it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed one. Do not apply more to try to catch up.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- when used, it may cause a temporary burning sensation;
- it may cause local irritation.
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
This document contains useful information for those taking this medication. It is not intended, in any way, to replace the advice of a trained health professional. For more information, consult the manufacturer's literature, where you will find additional information about uncommon side effects as well as contraindications associated with this product.