APO FAMOTIDINE, 20MG, TABLET
This medication reduces the production of stomach acid. Typically, it is used for gastroesophageal reflux (a condition involving heartburn and the regurgitation of stomach acid) or to help relieve symptoms of heartburn and indigestion. It may also be used for the prevention or treatment of ulcers, as well as for other uses.
How to use this medication
This medication is typically used twice a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Take it regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects.
Your doctor has prescribed this medication for a specific period of time. Take it for the entire time prescribed in order to achieve the medication's full benefit, even if you begin to feel better sooner. Avoid using or consuming substances that may irritate your stomach, such as:
- alcohol and alcohol-containing products;
- coffee, tea and chocolate;
- acidic or spicy food;
- fried foods.
This medication may be taken with or without food.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause headaches;
- it may cause dizziness -- use caution when getting up from a lying or sitting position;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
© Copyright Vigilance Santé
The patient information leaflets are provided by Vigilance Santé Inc. This content is for information purposes only and does not in any manner whatsoever replace the opinion or advice of your health care professional. Always consult a health care professional before making a decision about your medication or treatment.