CHLORHEXIDINE, 0.12%, MOUTHWASH
This medication is typically used to help control inflammation of the gums (gingivitis).
How to use this medication
Do not swallow this mouthwash. To use:
- rinse your mouth using the prescribed quantity;
- after about 30 seconds, spit it out.
This medication is typically used twice a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Avoid brushing your teeth, rinsing your mouth, drinking or eating for at least 30 minutes after using this product.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may alter your sense of taste;
- it may promote the formation of tartar on your teeth.
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
This document contains useful information for those taking this medication. It is not intended, in any way, to replace the advice of a trained health professional. For more information, consult the manufacturer's literature, where you will find additional information about uncommon side effects as well as contraindications associated with this product.