ESTROGEL, 0.06%, GEL
This medication contains hormones (estrogens). Typically, it is used as a female sex hormone supplement.
How to use this medication
This product is an odourless, non-staining gel. For the pre-measured dose, push the plunger all the way down. Apply the gel in a thin layer over large surfaces such as arms, thighs or abdomen. Allow the gel to dry for about 2 minutes before getting dressed.
The pump contains enough gel to produce 64 metered-doses. After that you have to change the pump, because the amount of gel delivered by the pump may be too low.
This medication is typically used only once a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Apply it regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effect.
If you forget a dose, apply it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed one. Do not apply more to try to catch up.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause headaches;
- it may affect menstruation (irregular or absence of menses);
- it may increase breast size;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it could cause water retention and swelling.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
© Copyright Vigilance Santé
The patient information leaflets are provided by Vigilance Santé Inc. This content is for information purposes only and does not in any manner whatsoever replace the opinion or advice of your health care professional. Always consult a health care professional before making a decision about your medication or treatment.