ACT OLOPATADINE, 0.1%, EYE DROPS
This medication is typically used for allergic conjunctivitis (inflammation of the clear covering of the front of the eye, due to allergies).
How to use this medication
This medication is for the eye. To use:
- wash your hands as well as the skin surrounding the affected eye;
- shake the container;
- gently pull down the lower lid of the affected eye;
- apply 1 drop of the medication;
- close the eye for 2 to 3 minutes, while gently pressing on the inner corner of the eye.
To avoid contaminating the medication, do not let the tip of the applicator touch your fingers or any part of your eye. Close the container tightly after each use.
This medication is typically used twice a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Use it regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects.
If you forget a dose, apply it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed one. Do not apply more to try to catch up.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause eye discomfort;
- when used, it may cause a temporary burning sensation;
- it may cause a stinging sensation;
- it may cause headaches;
- it may alter your sense of taste;
- it may cause the eyes to become more sensitive to light -- wear sunglasses if necessary.
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Once opened, the product must be used within 28 days. Any unused portion should be discarded.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
This document contains useful information for those taking this medication. It is not intended, in any way, to replace the advice of a trained health professional. For more information, consult the manufacturer's literature, where you will find additional information about uncommon side effects as well as contraindications associated with this product.