BASAGLAR KWIKPEN, 100U/ML, INJ.PEN
This product contains insulin. Typically, it is used to control blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. Following injection, its action starts after a few hours.
How to use this medication
This product must be injected under the skin (subcutaneously):
- clean the tip of the pen with an alcohol swab and attach a needle;
- select the required dose;
- clean the skin at the injection site with an alcohol swab;
- pinch the skin and inject the insulin into the fold. If you use a short needle, pinching the skin may not be necessary, ask your pharmacist;
- wait a few days before injecting the same site again.
Use this medication regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects. Insulin users should be aware of the symptoms of low blood sugar, which include confusion, headache, hunger, irritability, palpitations, rapid breathing, cold sweats and shakiness. These symptoms require immediate treatment, to bring your blood sugar back up to a safe level. This can be done with a quick source of sugar, such as 3 glucose tablets, a tablespoon of jam or honey, 6 to 8 jellybeans or LifeSavers, a tablespoon of sugar, or 1/2 - 3/4 cup of non-diet soft drink. Inform your doctor if these symptoms have occurred, as it may mean that your diet and/or medication needs to be adjusted.
Insulin users must check their blood sugar levels regularly using an appropriate device.
Dispose of used syringes and needles safely. Your pharmacist can tell you the best way to do this. In order not to cause hypoglycemia, avoid excessive alcohol consumption. Do not drink alcohol on an empty stomach.
Possible side effects
Aside from the risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels), this product has few side effects. If you think this medication may be causing side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
This document contains useful information for those taking this medication. It is not intended, in any way, to replace the advice of a trained health professional. For more information, consult the manufacturer's literature, where you will find additional information about uncommon side effects as well as contraindications associated with this product.
© Copyright Vigilance Santé
The patient information leaflets are provided by Vigilance Santé Inc. This content is for information purposes only and does not in any manner whatsoever replace the opinion or advice of your health care professional. Always consult a health care professional before making a decision about your medication or treatment.