YAZ PLUS, 20MCG+3MG+, TABLETS-28
This medication contains hormones (estrogen and progestin). Typically, it is used to prevent pregnancy. It may also be used for acne. Even though you may not feel its effects, this medication takes effect after a few days.
How to use this medication
To ensure effectiveness, this medication should be taken at the same time each day. It may be taken with or without food.
Birth control pills are dispensed in specific packaging. It is important to follow the sequence of tablets and take all the pills which are in the packaging. Always start a new pack at the set date.
If you forget a pill, take it as soon as you remember and then continue to take one pill every day as usual. If you are more than 24 hours late in taking your pill, contact your pharmacist.
This medication is typically used only once a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Take it regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it could cause water retention and swelling;
- it may cause your breasts to feel swollen and tender;
- it may affect your appetite;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it may make your skin more sensitive to the sun or sun lamps -- wear sunscreen and avoid exposure to sunlight as much as possible.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
You are advised not to smoke when taking hormonal contraceptives. Smoking increases the risks of cardiovascular disease and stroke. The risks increase with age and with as few as 15 cigarettes a day. The increased risks are significant enough that after the age of 35, smokers should change their contraceptive method.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
© Copyright Vigilance Santé
The patient information leaflets are provided by Vigilance Santé Inc. This content is for information purposes only and does not in any manner whatsoever replace the opinion or advice of your health care professional. Always consult a health care professional before making a decision about your medication or treatment.